Church of All Saints in Krasnoe Selo: service schedule, address, history

"Save me, God!".
Thank you for visiting our website, before you start studying the information, please subscribe to our Orthodox community on Instagram, Lord, Save and Preserve † - The community has more than 30,000 subscribers. I give you useful information about holidays and Orthodox events... Subscribe. Guardian Angel to you!

The Church of All Saints in Krasnoe Selo and Alekseevsky Cathedral were the oldest monastery of the convent. The first evidence of the village dates back to the middle of the thirteenth century. The place got its name thanks to the Krasny pond.

The main shrines of the temple

The Church of All Saints on Krasnoselskaya is also the center of shrines, veneration of which is the bright goal of the believer:

The miraculous icon of the Mother of God Pantanassa (All-Tsarina). Ancient icon with the Apostle Paul. The Tikhvin icon of the Mother of God, “The Presentation of the Lord”, “The Descent of Christ into Hell” - icons of the 18th century. Icons with particles of the relics of the Apostles Paul and Peter, Nicholas the Wonderworker, the Venerable Martyr Elizabeth, the martyr Tatiana of Rome. Icon of Seraphim of Sarov with particles of the saint’s vestments. Kazan icon of the Mother of God. Reliquary cross (located near the eve, on the right) with particles of holy relics and other shrines.

Architectural features of the temple

Russian architect Nikiforov A.A. proposed an unusual design for a temple (albeit in the spirit of national architecture) - with a three-domed high bell tower, which was not entirely customary at that time. But the building was built, and it immediately attracted attention with its magnificence.

The temple itself, made of red brick, complemented by white stone, was crowned with one dome. In the passage between the main building and the bell tower, in the upper tier of the two-story structure there are cells and church choirs.

The parishioners were also impressed by the interior decoration, because the best icon painters from the Trinity-Sergius Lavra were involved in painting the temple. They were helped to create frescoes and icons in the Byzantine-Romantic style and the gods of the Alekseevsky Monastery. The white stone iconostasis was erected according to the design of the famous architect D.N. Chichagov.

The side chapel of the temple was consecrated in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. At the request of a number of noble families who donated funds for the development of the monastery, space was allocated in the lower tier for family crypts. Later, people of monastic and clergy rank were buried in the tomb.

They also erected a pair of symmetrical monastery buildings with 2 floors (in Soviet times, another tier was added). They were united into a single complex with the temple by a fence. Currently, the territory of the temple is fenced with a brick fence, surrounded by a beautiful gate.

History of Krasnoselsky All Saints Church

The first mention in the chronicle of Krasnoye Selo dates back to 1480. It should be noted that the place where the temple was built is one of the most ancient settlements in the capital. The settlement received its name from the Red (Great) Pond, whose area was not inferior to the city’s Kremlin.

The next historical mention is already in 1837. Then the Novo-Alekseevsky Monastery was moved from the center of Moscow to Krasnoye Selo. In 1887-1891. At his new cemetery, the All Saints Church was built according to the plans of the architect A.A. Nikiforova. The structure was unusual and grandiose:

  • Three-domed high bell tower.
  • Interior painting done by the hands of Trinity Sergius icon painters.
  • Iconostasis of white stone according to the plan of the architect N.I. Chichagova.
  • The tomb is in the basement.

By the beginning of the last century, there were already four churches on the lands of the Alekseevsky Monastery - All Saints, Archangel Michael, Holy Cross, and the man of God Alexy. Only two managed to survive the Soviet era - Vsekhsvyatsky and Alekseevsky. In 1926 the monastery was closed for many years.

During Soviet times, the Church of All Saints on Krasnoselskaya partially served as a production facility, and partially as a storage facility for archives. It was transferred back to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1991.

All Saints Church in Krasnoselsky is one of the few that miraculously survived the intolerant Soviet era. Today he lives an active spiritual life, morning and evening services are regularly held there. Many believers come to the Krasnoselsky Church of All Saints to venerate its miraculous, ancient icons and reliquary cross.

Major historical events

On the territory next to the Kremlin, where the Alekseevsky nunnery was located, Nicholas I decided to build the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. In 1837, the monastery moved to Krasnoye Selo.

At first, the only monastery church was the Krasnoselsky parish church of the Exaltation of the Life-Giving Cross of the Lord. In 1840, a cemetery was opened on the territory of the monastery as the main source of income. The Novo-Alekseevsky necropolis has become one of the best and most prestigious in Moscow.

Here were the burial places of the Mamontovs, Trubetskoys, Golitsyns, Volkonskys, Stanislavskys and other representatives of the merchant class, nobility, public figures, artists, writers, and architects.

Abbess Antonia, who led the monastery from 1871 to 1897, bought a large plot of land from a private owner and almost doubled the monastery area, thereby expanding the territory of the cemetery.

The Church of All Saints in Krasnoye Selo, designed for 1000 pilgrims, was founded in 1887 in the monastery cemetery. On June 30, 1891, its consecration took place in the presence of members of the Holy Synod, abbesses of all the monasteries of the capital, and honorary citizens of the city.

Two and a half months later, the right aisle of the temple was consecrated in honor of the icon of the Kazan Mother of God, which was equipped with donations from the noble Zhuravlev family. In 1889, under the construction of the Church of All Saints, a school was opened - a school for girls.

It was designed for 17 students, orphans and daughters of poor clergymen, in memory of the miraculous salvation of the entire Royal family during the crash of the imperial train, which occurred on October 17, 1988. The most diligent pupils continued their studies in diocesan schools. The rest lived in the monastery until they were sixteen, sewing vestments.

At the beginning of the twentieth century, the monastery had stone cell buildings, an icon shop, a mint shop, a handicraft workshop, a gold-embroidery workshop, a bookbinding workshop, a singing building, a hospital, a school, a library, a charity house for sixty people - a total of forty-two buildings, of which four were churches.

After October 1917, according to archival sources, monastic life continued without visible changes, except for the closure of the cemetery. There were about 200 nuns in the monastery.

In 1924, by decision of the Moscow City Council, the monastery was closed, the property was described, and books were removed from the library. An archive and an umbrella manufacturing plant were located on the premises of the Church of All Saints. The crosses and roofs were removed from the domes, leaving only the sheathing. Of the four churches, two have survived: Alekseevsky Church and a complex of two buildings and the All Saints Church.

Restoration of the Church of All Saints in Krasnoe Selo

The Novo-Alekseevsky necropolis was destroyed, valuable monuments were sold, and relatives were not allowed to rebury the remains of their loved ones. In 1930, a recreation park was built on the cemetery land, and in 1975 a highway was built, dividing the monastic property in half. Alekseevsky Church remained on the other side of the highway.

All Saints Church today

The Church of All Saints in Krasnoe Selo, together with two surviving buildings, became the base for the resurrection of the Alekseevsky monastery. In 1990, repairs and restoration began, and the territory was cleared. On March 30, 1991, services resumed, and on July 12, 1991, the 100th anniversary of the temple was celebrated.

In 1991, a Sunday school opened and an icon-painting workshop began operating. Now eight talented artists work here, two are members of the icon-painting section of the Union of Artists. They developed a special method of restoration and production of figured icon cases. The workshop received the Patriarch's award.

In 1994, an almshouse for elderly women with a house church named after Tsarevich Alexy was organized. The 19th-century building where it is located requires complex repairs, so it is not yet possible to accept new members to the almshouse.

Since 1995, a church-parish school has been operating, which has a license and accreditation. Almost all teachers have university education. State-issued documents on secondary education are issued, and many graduates enter universities.

In 2002, the “ARTOS” charitable foundation was created. It is not commercial, it is engaged in educational and social activities: distributing moral and spiritual literature, videos, CDs in schools, orphanages, prisons, nursing homes.

Since 2005, the Folk Choir has been operating for those interested. There is an Orthodox store, a museum of the history of the Alekseevsky Monastery, and a health camp for children “Derzhavny”.

In 2013, the monastery status was returned to the monastery. A small community of sisters has formed; some have two or three higher educations. The rector of the church from the day of its opening and the confessor of the monastery is Archpriest Artemy Vladimirov: teacher, writer, preacher, professor at St. Tikhon's Humanitarian University, member of the Writers' Union of Russia, has church awards.

Architectural monuments and shrines

In that part of the monastery, which is located to the north-west of the Third Ring Road, there is the ancient Church of All Saints, erected in 1887, thanks to the architect Alexander Alekseevich Nikiforov. The picturesque temple was built in the style of retrospectivism and absorbed the best traditions of Russian architecture of the 16th-17th centuries. The single-domed church is connected to the original three-domed bell tower. The red brick walls are decorated with small white stone inserts and multi-colored mosaic icons.

Nearby stands a rectangular building, rebuilt from a former cell building. Since 1994, inside the five-story building there has been a boarding school for the elderly and the Church of Tsarevich Alexei. Elderly nuns and old lonely laywomen live here.

Church of Alexy, man of God

To the south of the red brick almshouse you can see a small, elegant chapel built in 1995-2000. It is dedicated to the revered icon of the Mother of God “Unfading Color” and is decorated on all sides with mosaics.

On the other side of the Third Transport Ring, near 2nd Krasnoselsky Lane, is the main Alekseevsky Church. This is the oldest church of the monastery that has survived to this day. It was built in 1853-1858 according to a design prepared by M. D. Bykovsky.

On the eastern side, the rectangular temple ends with three semicircular apses, and a wide light drum is crowned with a large, richly decorated dome.

Building style

The structure is made of marble and dark red brick in a romantic style using motifs from ancient Russian architecture. This is a domed two-tiered structure with a three-domed bell tower, reminiscent of a ship. The famous two-tented cathedral is a symbol of the unity of state and church.

Must read: Donskoy Monastery in Moscow

The iconostasis, made of white carved marble in the Russian-Byzantine style, was striking; the walls and vaults were decorated by masters of the Trinity-Sergeevsky Lavra. The architectural composition was beautiful, elegant and rich.

During Soviet times, the temple fell into oblivion. At the end of the nineties of the last century, the cathedral began to be revived. The only image that belonged to the church was miraculously preserved in godless times. When repair work began in the early 90s, the builders discovered the famous icon of the Apostle Paul in a white marble iconostasis in one opening. It was hidden by good people and kept there all this time.

Another famous icon of the Most Holy Theotokos Pantanassa is located in the temple; many people turn to it to get rid of cancer.

At the temple there is an almshouse for the elderly, a church school for children, an icon painting workshop, a charitable foundation, and a parish store. On the territory of the church there is a chapel of the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary “Unfading Color”.

Schedule of services

In the Church of All Saints on Krasnoselskaya, services are conducted according to the general schedule.

Mon6:40 - morning service16:45 - 9th hour
17:00 - evening service
W7:00 – 3rd, 6th hour
Wed16:45 - 9th hour
17:00 - evening liturgy, akathist to St. Alexis
Thu6:40 - morning service16:45 - 9th hour
17:00 - evening service
Fri7:00 – 3rd, 6th hour
Sat8:00 - start of the funeral service
8:30 - 3rd, 6th hour
12:00 — Baptism16:45 - 9th hour
17:00 - All-night prayer
Sun6:40 - early morning service
9:00 - start of the prayer service

9:30 - late morning service

15:45 - 9th hour
16:00 - beginning of Vespers

16:30 - prayer with akathist at the icon “Our Lady of All Queens”

After the schedule of the Church of All Saints on Krasnoselskaya, we will move on to the main milestones of its history.

Monastery today

Since 2013, the Alekseevskaya Convent has been an active convent. In addition, the main monastery church serves as the Patriarchal Metochion. Services are held at All Saints Church. Services begin at 7.00 and 18.00 on weekdays, and at 9.00 and 17.00 on Sundays.

There is a private school at the monastery. Here children study regular general education subjects, attend classes in the Church Slavonic language, the fundamentals of the Orthodox faith and church singing, and also go on pilgrimage trips.

Gate of the Walk of Fame Memorial Complex

Since 2012, the monastery museum has been opened. It displays materials telling about the history of the monastery, old books, documents and personal belongings of former nuns. A separate section is devoted to the life of Abbess Antonia (Troilina), thanks to whom the monastery flourished and fell apart in the 19th century.


History of the Church of All Saints in Krasnoe Selo

The settlement itself was founded in the 12th century at the crossroads of trade roads. And only a few centuries later (in 1837), the Alekseevsky Monastery was moved to the village closer to old Moscow. By the 70s of the 19th century, the territory of the monastery expanded significantly due to the acquisition of adjacent lands, which were planned to be allocated for a cemetery.

This became the reason for the construction of a new temple, and it was founded in 1887 (August 22). Construction lasted 4 years and on June 30, 1891, Metropolitan Ioannikis of Moscow solemnly consecrated the main altar. By this time, the cemetery had become quite prestigious, and many famous people were buried in the new Church of All Saints.

After the October Revolution, the monastery was closed, the nuns were expelled, and the buildings began to be used for administrative purposes. The All Saints Church was allocated for an archive and part of the premises for the production workshops of the Moscow Umbrella Factory. The adjacent cemetery was razed to the ground and an overpass was built there.

Thanks to Perestroika, the country's attitude towards religion changed, and the Orthodox Church was able to return the Church of All Saints to its possessions. Since 1991, restoration of the building and surrounding areas began. Intensive work is underway in the revived Novo-Alekseevsky Monastery, thanks to which schools (Sunday and parish), a health camp, a workshop, a store, and a shop are beginning to function at the church.

In 2013, the Church of All Saints acquired the status of the main cathedral of the monastery. Sokolnitsky of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk and Ryazan of Equal-to-the-Apostles Princess Olga are also included in it.

Video: History of the Temple

About the temple

All Saints Church is named Krasnoselsky because of its territorial location (Krasnoe Selo, modern Krasnoselsky district of Moscow). Its upper altar was consecrated in honor of All Saints' Day, the lower altar in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God.

From the very opening (1991) to the present, the rector of the All Saints Church is Archpriest Artemy. Since 2013, the Church of All Saints on Krasnoselskaya has been the main temple of the revived Alekseevsky Monastery. In addition, several temples are assigned to it, including the Moscow temple of Tikhon of Zadonsk (Sokolniki), Princess Olga (Ryazan region).

Today the temple operates:

  • Parochial school.
  • Children's city health camp "Derzhavny".
  • Folk choir for everyone.
  • Orthodox store for spiritual family needs.
  • Icon workshops.
  • "ARTOS" is a charitable foundation.
  • House church named after Tsarevich Alexy.

The Krasnoselsky Church of All Saints in Moscow is located at the address: 2nd Krasnoselsky per., 7. Finding it is easy: exit the Krasnoselskaya metro station on the street. Krasnoprudnaya, go to the Rustakovskaya overpass. Follow the road under the last one and turn left. Walk along the red brick fence until the Alekseevsky Monastery appears on the right side.

( 2 ratings, average 4.5 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]