Balashikha, Alexander Nevsky Temple: history, address, opening hours

Every year the sights of the magnificent city of Balashikha become more attractive to tourists throughout the country and beyond. Thanks to its color, the city received the nickname “the eastern gate of Moscow.” On the streets of Balashikha you can see a large number of buildings of historical significance: these are luxurious estates, majestic churches and much more. Most of these buildings began their life during the time of Catherine the Great. This city is considered one of the largest settlements in the Moscow region. Getting to know Balashikha will bring pleasure and new emotions; in addition, you can have a wonderful weekend in the city.

Church buildings of Balashikha

Going through the list of the main attractions of the area, it is difficult to forget about the majestic and beautiful temple buildings. One of the most ancient buildings is the structure called the Church of the Intercession of the Virgin Mary. Mention of this place was found back in 1624, and this directly speaks of its antiquity and historical significance. Just a few years ago, the city authorities decided to restore the building, thanks to this the temple continues its life and has its original appearance, continuing to delight residents and guests of the city. But it is also worth mentioning separately another church in Balashikha, named in honor of Alexander Nevsky. The temple was built over many years, construction was completed in the 19th century. During the Soviet era and the war, the building had a hard time. The church was almost completely destroyed, but at the moment the temple has been almost completely restored and holds services.

19th century factory settlement

In the place where the center of this small town near Moscow is now, in the middle of the 19th century there was a village whose inhabitants were workers of the Gorensky factory, whose smokestacks rose nearby. This village was called Nikolaevka, after the owner of the factory, Nikolai Volkov. The entire life of its inhabitants passed between gray wooden houses and factory buildings. Here they were born, here they whiled away their days, here they died.

Just outside the village there was a small cemetery and a church. It was built in 1894, and funds for construction were donated by a wealthy and pious parishioner M.V. Tretyakova. According to the surviving documents, it is clear that although this church was not flashy in appearance, a complete architectural style was clearly visible in its appearance. It was consecrated in honor of the holy noble prince Alexander Nevsky. She was assigned to the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord located in Pekhre-Yakovlevsky (the estate of the Golitsyn princes near Moscow).

Temple foundation

A religious building in the village of Balashikha - the Alexander Nevsky Temple - is located in the very center of the city, so finding it will not be difficult. If you dig into the depths of centuries, you can find out that in 1859 there was a completely different city called Nikolaevka. There was a factory in the settlement, so a large number of ordinary workers lived here who wanted to work. In 1894, not far from the local cemetery, a small church was erected, which they decided to consecrate in honor of a wonderful saint under the name Alexander Nevsky. The temple had a Byzantine style and, despite its small dimensions, looked majestic and cozy in its own way. The construction of a small church was carried out with funds from a certain Mrs. M. V. Tretyakova.

Where Sovetskaya Street and Lenin Avenue now intersect, the village of Nikolaevka appeared in 1859 as a settlement for workers of the Gorensky paper spinning mill N.A. Volkov, and after Volkov’s death, the Gorenka estate and the factory located in it were owned by the Tretyakov merchants.

On the western side of the factory settlement there was a cemetery, where, at the expense of M.V. Tretyakova, daughter of the merchant of the first guild V.N. Tretyakov, was built in 1894 according to the design of the architect A.U. Belevich is a small temple in the Byzantine style.

The temple was built in memory of the miraculous rescue of the imperial family during a train crash at the Borki station near Kharkov and that is why it was consecrated in honor of the holy blessed Grand Duke Alexander Nevsky, the heavenly patron of Emperor Alexander III.

The Alexander Nevsky Temple did not have its own clergy, since it was assigned to the parish of the Spassky Church in the village of Pehra-Yakovlevskoye (now the Spassky Church, after restoration, was consecrated as the Transfiguration Church).

In 1933, the Spassky Church was closed, and along with it, the ascribed Church of Alexander Nevsky was also closed. Subsequently, its building was used as a warehouse until its final demolition in 1955. On the site of the temple and the old cemetery, a park was laid out and the central city Lenin Avenue was laid.

At the end of the 90s. With the participation of local authorities and the clergy of the Moscow diocese, an initiative group was created with the goal of reviving the temple. In March 2000, the governor of the Moscow region B.V. Gromov gave his consent to the construction of the temple, after which, with the blessing of the head of the Moscow diocese, Metropolitan Juvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna, a new parish was officially established and a board of trustees was created.

On December 4, 2001, on the feast of the Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the temple, the foundation stone for the temple was consecrated, and construction began.

On September 11, 2003, a minor consecration of the baptismal church took place in the name of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Grand Duke Vladimir. On February 12, 2004, on the day of the Three Saints, the main construction work was completed in the main Alexander Nevsky Church, the entire architectural ensemble of which was built based on the cross-domed churches of Ancient Rus' of the 14th-15th centuries. and many of its details show the Pskov-Novgorod style.

From that time on, divine services began to be held regularly at the parish. Since 2004, the square on which the temple was built began to bear the name of the Holy Blessed Grand Duke Alexander Nevsky, who became the heavenly patron of Balashikha.

On September 12, 2006, on the patronal feast day of the church, with the blessing of Metropolitan Juvenal, Archbishop Gregory of Mozhaisk performed the rite of the Great Consecration.

Today, morning and evening services are held in the church every day, there is a Sunday school for children and adults, and creative clubs operate. For everyone, the clergy of the temple conduct classes on liturgics, dogmatics, the study of the Holy Scriptures and other church and theological subjects. A library, a pilgrimage service and a center for social assistance to the population are constantly operating at the temple.

Temple website Phones, (985) 963-6518, e-mail


As was previously said, there was a cemetery behind the church, so there were many worshipers in the temple. In 1933, mass closures of religious buildings began in the city. Initially, the largest churches were suspended, and then small churches were also closed. After this, the temple building was used as an ordinary warehouse, which caused discontent among the city residents. In 1960, by decision of local authorities, the temple was destroyed, and no trace remained of its existence on this site. A small park was created there where city residents could walk.

The end of hard times

But at the end of the last century, the pious residents of Balashikha took steps to recreate the temple of St. blessed Alexander Nevsky. An initiative group was assembled, through whose efforts they managed to register the parish of a new, not yet built church, and along with it a board of trustees. The solution to many problems was facilitated by the fact that the district leadership got involved in the matter. The project was also supported by the heads of many metropolitan institutions, who enthusiastically accepted the idea of ​​restoring the temple.

Revival of the Alexander Nevsky Temple

As it turned out, the destruction of the temple and the creation of the park did not end the history of the small church. Already in our times, a wise decision was made to restore the lost cathedral. The history of the temple was continued on a significant date, namely on the day of commemoration of the beheading of the head of the Forerunner and Baptist John. This event happened in 2003. It was on this day that the necessary blessing was received and the religious procession took place. The prayer at this service was distinguished by its zeal; people fervently prayed for the triumph of justice. Also on this day, the temple was presented with an ancient, unique bell for the belfry. Therefore, on the same day it was consecrated and its establishment was blessed. This bell has an amazing history. It was preserved thanks to caring people, they were the ones who managed to save it from destruction. For many years he was silent, and it was on a significant day that he again got the opportunity to call parishioners to the temple of God.

Completion of reconstruction

February 12, 2004 was no less significant. It was on this day that the restoration work of the temple was completed; formalities remained so that services in the name of the Lord could begin to be held here again. The temple was built with the help of a huge number of caring people, all kinds of enterprises and ordinary residents of the city helped. This selfless and timely help testified to the fact that the temple in this city is needed not only as a historical memory, but also as a necessary place of spiritual life. As a result, a wonderful church was erected, bright and spacious. There was enough space for all needs, and a Sunday school was opened for the little parishioners. It is here that children will be able to get answers to all the questions of spiritual life. It is simply a gift from God that there is such a place in a city called Balashikha. The Alexander Nevsky Temple (opening hours: from 8.00 to 18.00) even provides psychological assistance to parishioners.

The mayor of the city also decided to make his contribution. A square was built near the temple, which was also named in honor of Alexander Nevsky. All these events can be called truly miraculous, despite the fact that a considerable number of years have passed, people returned the Alexander Nevsky Temple (Balashikha).

Ruin of a village church

And this church served God and people until 1933, when the temple on the Golitsyn estate was closed. Along with him, the Alexander Nevsky Church assigned to him was also closed. Balashikha lost a significant part of her spiritual nourishment. From then on, for three decades, the Church of God was used as a warehouse, and in the early sixties it was completely destroyed. She became a victim of Khrushchev's hard times. A highway was laid in its place, and where the crimson ringing of bells had previously been heard, only the faceless and soulless roar of the city street sounded.


The presence of God is truly felt in this place. This is often mentioned by numerous parishioners. Divine services are held regularly. Special hours are also allocated for additional services. For example, every Friday clergy pray in front of the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos “Inexhaustible Chalice” for healing from drunkenness.

On the territory of the temple there is a dining room and a buffet with delicious dishes prepared with your own hands. Here you can also receive financial assistance in the form of items donated by other parishioners.

Belfry above the baptismal church of St. Vladimir

In 2001, construction of another temple began in the city. During the ascension, services were held on the territory of the church; a small wooden temple was specially built for these purposes. Therefore, the city residents could pray not only for themselves, but also for the speedy construction of the temple. In August 2004, a cross was erected on the cathedral. In March 2002, a church of the cross was erected opposite the Alexander Nevsky Church. It was consecrated in honor of Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir. In the same building there was a place for a bell tower and a Sunday school for children. But already in early September, a dome was installed on the temple, which completed the ensemble. Two weeks later, the building was consecrated, and services began here. This is a significant event for a city like Balashikha.

The Alexander Nevsky Temple, whose history is so amazing, was erected thanks to the fervent prayers of church ministers of old Rus'. The architecture of the building is completely designed in the Pskov-Novgorod style. This is evidenced by the facades reminiscent of foliage, multi-level and complex roof. The Church of St. Vladimir was made in the same style.


The style of the Alexander Nevsky Church in Balashikha clearly shows the Pskov-Novgorod cross-dome style, inherent in religious Orthodox buildings of the 14th-15th centuries. This is evidenced by the three-lobed completion of the walls, a high drum under a helmet-shaped dome and a complex roof.

Important! The new church has become a wonderful addition to the appearance of the city and serves as an important spiritual center for the Orthodox Christians of the local community.

It will be interesting to visit here not only for believers, but also for those who are interested in architecture, because the Alexander Nevsky Temple illustrates traditionally Russian techniques that have been used in architecture in Rus' since ancient times. Modern craftsmen have perfectly succeeded in recreating the original Russian appearance of the Temple of God, in all its grandeur and beauty.

A miraculous sign on the opening day

On the opening day, the church was visited not only by residents of such a wonderful city as Balashikha. The Alexander Nevsky Temple (address: Balashikha, Alexander Nevsky Square, 1) could not accommodate everyone who wanted to attend the service. Therefore, a special area was set up next to the temple, where the service was displayed on a large screen, so everyone could see it.

During the religious procession, people observed a very rare phenomenon, which was clearly a good sign. The sun was shining brightly in the sky, but at the same time the moon appeared nearby. At the end of the service, an awards ceremony took place, at which all those who worked for the benefit of the construction of the temple were recognized. Even the smallest help was appreciated.

To this day, services are held in the temple; anyone can visit them. There is a special energy within these walls, people feel lighter, there is a certain surge of strength, they want to continue prayer and think about God. The construction of such places is very important for the spiritual state of the residents of the entire city, and local authorities understand this very well.

Services in the Alexander Nevsky Church (Balashikha) on weekdays and Saturdays begin at 8 am. On Sundays and holidays, the temple invites everyone to services at 6.30.

Activities of the parish

Today, regular services are held in the church. Children and adults have the opportunity to attend Sunday school and various creative clubs. Clerics conduct classes on theological subjects, explaining the Holy Scriptures, dogma, and so on.

Divine service in the Balashikha Church

There is a library and a pilgrimage service at the temple. There is also a social assistance center, whose activities are aimed at supporting vulnerable segments of the population.


Unfortunately, the shrines of the predecessor temple have not reached our time. But it is possible that in the future ancient relics will appear in the church. Today here you can see icons of modern icon painters, created with reverence and great love for the Orthodox faith.

Patronal holidays

September 12 - transfer of the relics of the blessed Prince Alexander Nevsky.

( 1 rating, average 4 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]